Every business today should have some kind of integrated marketing communications system, but planning and executing an effective strategy can be difficult — though it’s necessary in order to gain a competitive advantage. However, with today’s multitude of media choices, marketing channels and formats, inbound marketing and shifts in buyer behavior, it’s hard to keep up. The solution to this problem: brand choreography.
Today’s marketing strategies are quickly evolving in an attempt to keep pace with our constantly changing technology-based society. Sometimes it seems impossible to keep up with all the latest trends so that we can effectively stay in touch with our clients’ ever-changing needs and interests.
So what exactly is brand choreography and how does it influence my business marketing?
In a nutshell, it is the orchestration of different marketing messages and tactics across many arenas including traditional, digital, and social media platforms. It is a customer-focused model designed to deliver the right message, to the right person, in the right place, at the right time.
An effective way of approaching brand choreography is through the use of Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC). There are five key features of IMC that can have an effective impact on your current marketing strategy:
- CONSUMER – First it must be acknowledged that consumers are in control and therefore the focus must be placed directly on them. Because IMC is driven by consumer data and analysis, it’s vital to understand the attitudes, perceptions and behaviors of consumers.
- CONTACT – This is a two-way street. In addition to being accessible on multiple channels where your target market it, the brand also needs to be willing to engage with customers as well on this channels. Keeping communications open between your brand and the consumers across all channels (email, direct mail, phone contact, etc.) is essential to building brand loyalty, and it also helps to keep potential customers moving through the sales cycle without burning them out on your message.
- CONSISTENT – Being able to express authenticity and consistency are both essential to a success of any organization. Consider your message and voice, and think about how it harmonizes with your customers. IMC seeks to build relationships with consumers, therefore all communications need to be coordinated so that you don’t leave people wondering why they should value your brand.
- RELATIONSHIPS – In order to build strong relationships with your customers, there needs to be a focus on interactional excellence, rather than transactional excellence. Fostering relationships is essential for success, and they need to move beyond simply being product transactions.
- INFLUENCE – IMC should ultimately influence and affect consumer behavior. Affecting their behavior is the goal for any successful marketing strategy. By being humanly relevant, a brand can look beyond numbers and nurture the customer experience.
Brand Choreography and Integrated Marketing Communications may not be for everyone. Fully embracing all the concepts of these strategies may not be possible from either a financial or staffing standpoint.
However, even if you don’t have the ability to implement a full-blown marketing strategy utilizing all these concepts, you should still be able to retain some important lessons from their impressions. As always, the customer is number-one and our efforts should always be focused on their priorities and not our own.
Addressing their needs first, can have more intimate, individual and successful interactions with them through online social media platforms. However we stay in touch with our customers, it is always important that we keep our communications with them open and honest.