Like most local business marketing, the results must remain a mystery…. Most of us are aware of the famous quote by John Wanamaker, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don’t know which half.” It’s easy for you to feel that way about your marketing, but you can stack the deck through preparation and planning that makes you think that Google Adwords is the half that’s working.
If you’re a local small business that is wanting to become more engaged on-line and improve your SEO, Google Adwords is a good place to start. Google Adwords is not only an excellent tool to drive traffic to your website, but can also provide some great SEO information that can be used to improve your organic search.
Five easy steps to help set up your Google AdWords Account:
- Organize Your Campaign By Theme. In each campaign, be sure to create separate ad groups for each of your products, brands or types of services you offer. With the limited amount of characters that can be used by creating themes under your ad group allows you to be more specific, more targeted. Give them what they’re searching for.
- Choose Your Keywords Carefully. Research is critical. The best research tool is Google Keyword Tool. Use specific keywords that directly relate to your ad group. Keywords that are too broad can lower your AdWords performance by generating a lot of ad impressions but not many clicks. One-word keywords can be too generic, so use two- or three-word phrases.
- Include Keywords In Your Ad Text. Be sure to include your best keywords in your ad text, especially the title. If your ad is displayed when a user searches on a keyword in your ad group, the keyword(s) will appear in bold in your ad text (and that’s a good thing!).
- Use The Right Destination URL. To be effective, you need to ensure that the Destination URL (landing page) that you use for each ad is the best page with the keywords that you are using in that ad. If you can a landing page specific to that search will deliver you the best results.
- Track Your Success. Use the Google AdWord tools to track the impressions and clicks. Adjusting the campaign and keywords is easy to do. The tools are there to help with your success so use them.
Summary: This is the simple steps for creating the ad. There are obviously other important aspects that go into running a successful Google AdWords campaign, like setting the daily budget, the geographical area, demographics, etc. Click here for some more Google AdWords for small business information.
If you’re already satisfied with your organic search terms, don’t use them in your Google AdWords campaign. Why should you pay per click for something you’re already established with hard SEO work.
We find that one of the best uses of Google Adwords is to have it supplement certain keywords why yu work on improving them through organic SEO. Use it as a bridge…
If you would like more information on how you can have an effective Google Adwords campaign check sign up for a free 15-minute consultation.