With the advent of our new economy, we’re seeing a pretty significant move from traditional media dollars to online media. The reasons are several-fold.
- Traditional advertising takes a big bite out of a limited marketing budget. Online advertising is quite cheap in comparison with traditional media.
- Marketing budgets are getting smaller – not larger.
- Online advertising allows you to track your results and monitor impressions vs clicks.
- There are many venues for online advertising, each with a slightly different approach. Surely one will fit your needs.
- Online advertising augments and extends efforts made in traditional and social media.
When it comes to online advertising there are the usual suspects, Google Adwords and Facebook. Additionally there are a variety of online advertising offered by traditional media. The majority of the local news outlets (newspaper, television, radio) host an online site and sell online advertising on it. There are also a variety of Chambers of Commerce, community pages, and localized national pages that are available. National group buying sites like Groupon are also making an appearance in the online advertising marketplace.
Because online advertising is relatively inexpensive it’s an ideal medium to test ideas out on before you implement a full campaign. So go crazy, try some things – the worst that you’ll do is be wildly successful.